Sunday, May 18, 2014

Starting again....

The Lord works in mysterious ways. I haven't touched this blog in a couple of years. Oh, I knew it was here. I also have another one on a homestead site, but I just couldn't/didn't find the time to post anything. Some people suggested I start a Prepper blog, and I had considered that, wondering what I would name it so it would catch people's eyes...but then a friend wrote an amazing post on her blog about the loss of her first husband, and when I went to comment, my blogger signature was an option. Well, golly - maybe I should check out my blog and start writing again LOL! So here I am!

A little update. We are blessed to live in the same place I have for the past 8 years, near some amazing Catholic families. We have an awesome parish, with two holy priests that constantly challenge me by their behavior to become a better Christian. On my blog,  my last two posts were about making vanilla extract and elderberry tincture. I hope you all check it out.

Now, about Prepping. Yes, I know, it shouldn't be capitalized (grammar nazi here), but I think Disaster Preparedness is SO necessary and yet SO ignored that I should probably start writing here about that along with self-sufficiency. Too many people make too many assumptions. They assume they'll always have a job, they assume they can put things on a credit card and pay it off later (guilty here), they assume food will always be available, water will always come from the tap, and the light switch will always work.

Yet....what if any or all of those stopped? As in right now, as you're reading this - BOOM! The computer shuts off, the lights, TV, etc. Quick - where are your flashlights? Do they have working batteries? Can you get to where you store the batteries? DO you store batteries? Are they in the deep, dark basement? How can you see down there without breaking your neck? Ahhhh.....so here is the first thing to learn. Store a WORKING flashlight on every floor, hopefully in every room. If you have little kids, store some chemsticks - they get entranced by the colorful stick lights and don't freak over the darkness. What if the power is going to be off longer than a few hours? How will you get water? Do you have water stored? How will you cook? What will happen to the food in the fridge/freezer?

It's amazing how one loss causes a cascade of effects. I'm hoping to address these and more topics over the next few weeks. Pray I continue to do this. I figure if the government is telling us to be ready with at least 3 days of food and water (and I believe they've stretched it to two weeks), then it seems prudent to do so. It doesn't mean we don't trust God. It means He trusts us to use our God-given intelligence to realize that we have to prepare for a rainy day.

Have a happy Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment